Images from the Pier

February 4, 2010

New image from the North Pier looking at the Outer Lighthouse was taken before the temperatures took a climb and melted what your looking at. It was really amazing to be out on the pier at sunset and witness all these formations, and how it transforms the pier into a completely different environment.  I actually like shooting the pier in the winter because it’s constantly changing.  The North Pier will never look the same in a 24 hour period in the winter months.  I think I have mentioned  before that it can be a very dangerous place if your not prepared for it. So if you happen to be out on any pier during the winter months please be careful and take your time walking around and be aware of your surroundings.

North Pier Sunset

Old Main Inner Lighthouse & Catwalk

North Pier Lighthouse & Catwalk

The two shots with borders were generated using onOne software that I’m sure most of you have heard of or seen applied to photographs. I personally like the use of them as long as the border does not overpower the shot. The applied borders on the shots below were generated by PhotoFrame Pro 3.0. At present they have updated to 4.0 which looks like they have added some creative and useful borders and edge effects. My one criticism about the software is that you have literally thousands to choose from and will hardly ever use all of them. You will find that you gravitate towards your favorites leaving the other borders/edge effects within the software to just sit on your hard drive.

Ice Covered Catwalk

North Pier Catwalk

How cold does it have to be to keep you home, sitting on the couch, and missing out on getting some good photos? Will you go out when it’s below 10 degrees Fahrenheit if you think you might get a good shot.

It was about 5PM on January 16, 2009 when my son Reed and I decided to head to Tiscornia Beach to grab some shots of the  North Pier Lighthouse  in Saint Joseph, Michigan. Due to heavy snowfall, and roads that had not been plowed, we had to park our vehicle outside of Tiscornia and make our way to the pier .

Walking the extra couple of hundred yards just to get to the pier was bone chilling. In total I took about 60 shots, spent about 1 hour on the pier.  At that junction in time our fingers and toes had gotten extremely cold to the point of numbness. The decision was made between to very cold guys. Time to go.

6 Responses to “Images from the Pier”

1. kris says:

I can feel the intensity of the temperature just looking at this!! Outstanding work!!

2. Thea Westra says:

Hi there Dick,
    I love the blog. The photos are so inspiring. I’ll write again soon. Just have a few things that are taking priority this week! 🙂
    Thank you for the relaxing interlude with these beautiful views through your lens.
    Say hi to Kris for me.
    Cheers, Thea

3. Mike Criss says:

Nice winter shots, reminds me of my home in Alaska.

4. Rob says:

I love the North Pier and Lighthouse capture above, it's fantastic and well exicuted. Thanks for stopping by my new blog. I love fall in the north east where I live. I am lucky to live just outside the Adirondack State Park and within an hour of some of the most beautiful places I know. The capture you commented on was from a trip to the Adirondacks but I can't recall the exact location.

Cheers,

Rob

• DLBerry says:

p { margin: 0; }
      Hello Rob!
      Thanks for taking the time to view my work and make a comment on my Lighthouse and North Pier shots. It's always appreciated! I will continue to follow your work and hope to see new images in the future from you. Iif you like you can find some of the same work and even new shots on the the same site I found your images on. Thanks again and keep in touch!

/>